Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Steve Coogan: celebrities who apologise over tabloid exposés are pitiful

Star of Alan Partridge movie, Alpha Papa, says people should not have to justify themselves in face of 'pious' morality

Steve Coogan has described celebrities who apologise when their indiscretions are splashed across newspapers as pitiful, saying they should not have to justify themselves in terms of the "slightly antiquated morality" of the tabloids.

The comedian and actor, currently promoting the Alan Partridge movie, Alpha Papa, struck an unrepentant note in an interview with Radio Times published on Tuesday. His personal life has been the subject of lurid headlines in the past.

"When my life has been the subject of tabloid intrusion, what I have never done is get engaged in justifying myself," he said. "Celebrities who go round apologising are pitiful, and don't do themselves any favours. They shouldn't have to justify themselves on these preconceived, pious, sanctimonious projections of the slightly antiquated morality of these tabloid newspapers."

Coogan, along with actor Hugh Grant, became one of the highest-profile celebrities to speak out about the behaviour of the press at Lord Justice Leveson's inquiry into media standards and ethics in November 2011: "My closet is empty of skeletons as a result of the press, so unwittingly they have made me immune in some ways".

He told Radio Times he agreed to appear before the Leveson inquiry because he knew other well-known figures did not want to risk negative press coverage and he wanted to use his celebrity status to make a point on behalf of ordinary people.

"I thought the way [the press] behaved – and yes it was towards me, but also towards a lot of other people who didn't have a voice like me – was just wrong," Coogan said. "And what makes them feel uncomfortable is when you say something and there's no ulterior motive; they get pissed off that you might be doing something on a point of principle.

"If someone's a victim of crime and they're a forgotten person, like thousands of people who've been fucked over by the tabloids, if they got on their moral high horse, no one's going to listen to them. The double-edged sword of being in the public eye is that you'll be afforded some sort of platform."

During his Leveson appearance Coogan said he had never made "a Faustian pact with the press" or courted fame. However, he told Radio Times he understood the necessity of dealing with the media to promote his work, within limits.

"The truth is, this is part of what I have to do to sell the film," he said. "I'm contractually bound to be here to talk to you. Not that I'm not having a nice time, but [Coogan's production company] Baby Cow have put money into the film, and I have to support that by getting people to go and see it.

"I don't talk about my personal life, I don't go in Hello! magazine to get a free kitchen because I show them my kitchen. I like to be creative, but I'm not interested in being recognised."

Coogan, a Labour supporter, also criticised comedians who are unwilling to express their personal beliefs or voice potential controversial opinions.

"If there's one thing that annoys me, it's people who put their career before absolutely everything," he said. "There are some people, especially in this industry, who don't have an opinion on anything. Because of postmodernism, they think it's fashionable to not give a shit about anything."


theguardian.com © 2013 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013/jul/30/steve-coogan-celebrity-apologies-pitiful

Amos Gitai ampland.com amtrak Amy Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment