Sunday, June 30, 2013

Letter: Jim Goddard gave me the coat off his back, writes Robin Ellis

People are sometimes defined by a single instinctive gesture, made off the cuff. In the late 70s, I was recording a TV drama at London Weekend's headquarters on the South Bank in the bleak midwinter. We were working on a scene that required me to be in shirtsleeves.

Suddenly a voice announced over the loud speaker system: "Clear the building immediately!" It was a bomb-scare. Out we all trooped into a dank street on a freezing night. A large figure appeared behind me and draped something over my shoulders. It was Jim Goddard, the director, with a broad smile on his face – it was his coat. Perhaps his need was not as pressing as one of his actors in the middle of a recording that would be resumed asap – nevertheless the moment has stayed with me.


guardian.co.uk © 2013 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2013/jun/30/jim-goddard-robin-ellis

affiliate Afghanistan africa afrikaans

No comments:

Post a Comment