Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Danny Dyer wants to return to theatre – to make his mum happy

The EastEnders actor says he wishes to take to the stage again because of his mum: 'She's been to every play I've done'

Danny Dyer wants to do more theatre – to please his mum.

The actor, one of Harold Pinter's favourites, hasn't appeared in a play for more than four years, since he played Sid Vicious in Kurt and Sid at the Trafalgar Studios in 2009. However, he's revealed that he's looking for more stage work.

"My mum loves theatre and has come to see me in every play I've done," the 36-year-old told the Press Association. "She always says, 'Why don't you do another play?'"

He continued: "It needs to be the right play. It's such a long run and you give your life away. You have one day off a week, two shows on a Wednesday, two on a Saturday, so it has to be something you like and are buzzing off. If it is inspiring you every week, then I'm always up for a play."

Dyer has joined the cast of EastEnders and makes his first appearance as the new landlord of the Queen Vic on Christmas Day.

He's appeared in three Pinter plays, the first being Celebration at the Almeida theatre, before he took roles in No Man's Land – opposite Corin Redgrave and John Wood – and The Homecoming. Last week, Dyer spoke to the Guardian about his relationship with the playwright, describing him as "the only person who I feared but loved," before adding, "He had faith in me, he suffered all my shit, because he knew I was a talented actor."

The actor also revealed that he had been set to take on the part originally played by Michael Caine in a stage adaptation of Alfie that was due to premiere at the Grand theatre in Blackpool. "I was going to do Alfie," he said, "and I was so excited about that but it just didn't work out for some reason."


theguardian.com © 2013 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/nov/26/danny-dyer-theatre-play-pinter

google trends yahoo buzz buzz more news

No comments:

Post a Comment